Monday, May 14, 2012

"Strength does not come from physical capicity. It comes from an indomitable will."

Hi everyone, well not long after i posted last nights blog i went to bed and the phone rang.  It must have been about 11 pm or so.  It was my son-in-law Dion.  He told me that they were going to take Dani into surgery around 4:45 am.  All i could think was..... will i get to see her before they take her in??  So i asked Dion if i could talk to her.  Dani told me not only was she going to have the heart surgery but they were going to do another surgery on her groing where they had done the heart cath.  She noticed a large hard lump when she was taking a shower earlier in the day.  She mentioned it to her nurse and they had a doc take a look.  He told her she had a hematoma and it would need surgery in the morning to stop the leekage into her groing.   They had stopped the bleeding on the outside but were unaware of the bleeding going on under her skin. Tthey said the hematoma was not in an artery but they would go in and stitch it up when they did surgery in the morning.  Geez what else does this poor child have to endure??  
    I woke this morning at 1:45 am and called a yellow cab to come to the house and pick me up at 2:45 am and take me to the hospital.  I showered and packed for a few days at the hospital hoping dion will let me use his shower in his room if i needed.  I dont plan on going back to the house until i know dani is out of the woods after her surgery.   I got to the hospital at about 3:30 am as the cab was about 20 min late.   The kids were sleeping when i got there so i grabbed a pillow and took a chair and waited for them to wake.  Dion heard me and said ... whos there?  I said me Dion,  then Dani said mom?  What are you doing here?   I told her im not letting them take you to surgery before I get my kisses and hugs.        
    Finally around 5:30 am they came to transport her to the surgical ward.  They let me and Dion follow.  We sat with her till 7:00 am and thats when they came for her to take her to surgery.  They led us to the surgery waiting room and we both decided to go get breakfast in the cafateria.
   We all know how dani loves to cook... here she is my little sous chef cooking the first fish she ever caught. She is 3 in this picture 
   When we returned to the surgery ward there was a screen with all the ppl getting surgery that day.  We saw Dani's name on it .  It showed she had gone to surgery but didnt actually light up that she was in surgery till 8:54 am.   It was about 12:50 when they came and told us that they had fixed the problem with her groing and that they had actually successfully opened her chest cavity and were actually at her heart.  They said Dr. Bavaria was actually deciding what they were going to do.   Now that they have a better look at what was going on with her heart.  So its not actually sure how they will proceed at the moment. (if they will give her both valves and or replace the aortic graft.)   They said that is was good that they had actually opened her chest with no complications.  Now we just wait again until they come back with more news as to how the doctors will proceed.    She is a fighter!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful little girl! Your little cook :-) Thank you for sharing that picture. We're glad to hear you were there from the start, got your hugs and that the surgery is going well. I really have been thinking of nothing else today. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete