Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel till he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow"

   Hi everyone,  well I managed to stay out of the kids hair yesterday till about 3 pm.  As I suspected, they had a steady streem of doctors and nurses coming and giving instructions about Danis discharge.  The only thing holding them back was that Dani was still on one drain tube for the hematoma on her groin.  They couldnt disconnect her from it and the blood loss from the drain needed to be measured everyday and noted for her doctor.  Normally it would be an easy task but Dani and Dion are both visually impared they could not read the amounts on the  rubber bottle that collected the blood. So there was an issue with her discharge. 
   To make a long story short they did discharge her and arranged a nurse to make daily visits to her room to moniter her BP and change the dressing on the wound on her groin. 
    She called me yesterday afternoon around 3 and told me she was about to get discharged and needed some perscribtions filled and the nearest place to have it done was a walgreens on 18th and south street.  So I hopped the bus and made my way over to the kids hotel and got a handfull of perscribtions and a list of other over the counter meds and off I went. 
    I jumped on the 40 bus going in the wrong direction in the pouring rain.   I realized I was going in the wrong direction about 4 miles down the road.  (bad neighborhood).  I asked the bus driver and he said yes I had gotten on the wrong 40 bus.  (oh man!)   He dropped me at the next corner and gave me an emergency transfer ticket and told me I had to walk 3 blocks and catch the 40 going in the next direction.  Talk about scary!  it was about 6:30 pm by then and dark cuz of the rain and i had no umbrella and no sweater (was getting chilly).  I found the stop I needed and began my long lonely scary wait.   Geez wheres a bus when u need it!   I must have waited 30 minutes for the bus to get there.  I had drunk men walk by me and mean looking guys pass by and I could smell urin on the corner near where I was standing.  There was trash all over, and loud music coming from one of the houses.   I reached in my purse and got my money out and hid it on my body. I stood there cursing myself for even getting on the wrong bus in the first place.   Then I cursed myself for even getting off the bus (in that neighborhood).  God what was I thinking!   I did eventually find my way to 18th and South street. I got all the things on Danis list and her meds.   Before I got off the last bus I asked the driver what bus I needed to get on to get back to the Penn Tower.  She told me walk one block and get the 40 going in the other direction.  So I walked the block hopped on the 40 again and when I got about 6 miles this time down the road... (none of the roads looked familiar)  I asked the driver if this bus was going to take me back to Penn Tower and he said no...you got on the 40 going the wrong way!!!!!!!   Ok I cant lie, just about every swear word you can think of was going through my head.  This time the driver dropped me off on Jefferson and 54th street and told me to cross the street and wait on the 40 going in the other direction.  And yes I was in another bad neighborhood!!!!  Geez!!!  Only this time it was like 8:15 pm and dark out and again it seemed like an eternity till the 40 came around to get me.  I called Dani to tell her my mishap and not to worry.  It had now taken me 2 hours to make (what should have been) a one hour trip!!!    In the pouring rain!!!   With no umbrella!!! And 2 huge blisters on both my feet from all the walking I had been doing the last week and a half.   And all I could tell myself was stop complaining Vel.   Your not laying in the Penn Tower right now with a drain tube hanging out of ur groin and 59 staples in ur chest.   (yes I counted 59 staples! )  and I stopped counting when I got to 12 on her groin because the gause covered the rest. I walked in her hotel room around 9 pm soaking wet.  But at least I made it!  I'm so thankful I didnt get mugged cuz I sure would have felt sorry for the guy I would have had to bodyslam!!! 
     I helped Dani get her meds orginized using a magic marker and writing large so she could see what she needed to take and how much day or night.  Then I hit the road and hailed a cab (in the pouring rain) in frount of the hotel to get home.   I had enough bus rides for the day! 
    This morning when I woke I called Dion and asked how Dani was doing.  He said she was doing good but that the home nurse was on his way over and they needed Danis drivers licence and insurance and I also had her UNM   ID in my purse from the night before (to get her meds) which I had totally forgotten to give back to her.   Soooooo I grabbed my purse and out the door I went to hop a bus to their hotel before the nurse got there.  Thank god I know that route!  I had no problems and I even found an umbrella in the house here that I took along cuz it was raining again today.
   I stayed with the kids today most of the day and we ordered pizza to the room and all had a nice lunch together.  Dani even ate a few bites of pizza. We all took a walk after lunch and rode the elevator to the 21st floor of the Penn Tower to see the view.  It was beautiful!  When it was quiet in the elevator we could hear Dani's heart ticking.  It literally sounds like a ticking watch.  Tick tick tick tick tick tick.  You dont even have to put your head to her chest to hear it.  The sound seems loudest when you stand behined her. Tick tick tick tick tick tick.  Its amazing!   
     Around 3:30 pm I said goodby to the kids told them I would be flying out tomorrow.  Back to New Mexico.  I've pretty much done what i've come here to do .  I'm sure the kids can handle the rest by themselves.  And I am sooooo looking foward to going home now!  I sure do miss New Mexico and my hubby George!   I'm almost packed and have my little row house all clean and ready for the next occupants. 
     Philidelphia is a beautiful city.  It has so many beautiful old historic buildings and statues.  The food I've eaten here has been wonderful (Itialian mmmm) .  It truly would be a great place to come for a vaction for those of you that like the city and all it has to offer. 
       I made this blog to keep you all informed about my daughter Dani and I do hope I accomplished my goal.  It was nice to be able to document all the events of her surgery and im sure someday Danielle will want to come back and read it.  I will keep you all posted when I return home, of Dani's progress in the weeks to come. It feels like I've been here for weeks but its actually only been 2 weeks.  And can you believe its only been one week and one day since Danielle had her surgery? Wow. 
    See you soon everyone...Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes for my daughter.   Vel

No comments:

Post a Comment